What is a school supposed to offer our students? Really stop and think for a little bit about that question before reading on. Years ago school was designed and even advertised as a place people go to receive their academics. If you look up the definition of academics on Dictionary.com you will find the following definitions:
1. pertaining to areas of study that are not primarily vocational or applied, as the humanities or pure mathematics.
2. theoretical or hypothetical; not practical, realistic, or directly useful.
Today many schools are still operating in the same way. Teachers deliver academics for students to receive and then regurgitate on tests to demonstrate they still remember hypothetical, non-practical, realistic, or even directly useful information. No wonder our students are disengaged!
What would happen if every school began to focus on learning? The definition of learning on Dictionary.com is:
1. knowledge acquired by systematic study in any field of scholarly application.
2. the act or process of acquiring knowledge or skill
3. the modification of behavior through practice, training, or experience.